WOW, 2017 is coming to a close! A lot has happened here at the Strong Rock band program. Where to begin? The next post is going to summarize what the band has accomplished so far this school year. We have a very long way to go, but never forget where you came from!
- New director! Sean Cleland has joined us this year. Mr. Cleland, a euphonium player and low brass specialist, brings a new set of skills to the Strong Rock Christian School Band Program. He has spent many year focusing on building skills related to Marching Band. As an alumnus of Spirit of Atlanta Drum and Bugle Corps, Mr. Cleland brings a serious drive and focus to all of his classes. He encourages students to always strive for their best every single time they are playing.
- The Marching Patriots took the field this year with “The Music of STYX”. It was a long a trying road from band camp to competition season. Hours of rehearsal went into perfecting the production. The Marching Patriots also hosted “Rookie Night” on November 3rd and it was a blast to have all the soon-to-be members. The very next day, we went to the White Columns Invitational at Milton High School. This was the culmination of our marching season and it was the next step in our development as a marching band! We left Milton with a Superior Drum Major rating and Excellent ratings in Band, Guard, and Percussion. We finished 3rd overall in Class A Competition. “This band has become more of a family this year, and not only have we taken marching band to a new level, but also our relationship with Christ as a unit”.- Brianna Carlisle, Drum Major.
- Beginning Band- This year’s Beginning Band has been an outstanding group of individuals. They have worked hard all year and have accomplished many goals. We all remember the first note video??? THEY ARE BETTER NOW!!! This is what one of the beginning band students has to say about being band; “I like Beginning Band, it is like a big family and it’s fun to learn music as a big group together”- Garrison Davis, Trumpet. We have very high hopes for this group as they continue their musical education.
- Variety Show- October 19th was the Variety Show here at The Rock. The theme this year was “Thursday Night Live!” featuring TV show theme songs. ALL of our ensembles performed with tremendous success.
- Veterans Day Program- The High School Band, under Mr. Rock’s direction, went to perform at the annual Veterans Day service in McDonough. The band had a wonderful performance.
- Christmas Program- All of our bands Beginning Band, Second Year Band, Academy Band, and High School Band performed at the Fine Arts Christmas Concert. Each group played pieces that challenged their musicianship and skills. We played our concert at Glen Haven Baptist Church in McDonough and started to get all of our friends and family in the Christmas Spirit with our selections!
- Jazz All-State- Three of our students went out for the Jazz All-State auditions. All three made the second round of auditions. Adam Watson was named the alternate bassist for the ensemble and Will Miller was named the principal vibraphone player. The group will be a featured ensemble at this year’s GMEA In-Service Conference in January. Congratulations to all three of these fine musicians!
- All-State Participation, Academy- We had a number of students participate in the All-State band auditions. This puts our students up against students throughout the state of Georgia in concert band. In the Academy we had a total of five students complete their All-State auditions. Mr. Farris Brookshire was named to the District 6 Clinic Band for this year. Congratulations Farris!
- All-State Participation, High School- Because of snow, our High School All-State Auditions were postponed from 12/9 to 12/16.